Joshua Dunlop, a financial planner, discusses his firm’s dedication to helping women in transition, such as those going through divorce or widowhood. Joshua co-founded Newmaker Financial, a financial planning firm in Denver, Colorado. Newmaker Financial focuses on assisting women in transition, including those experiencing divorce, widowhood, bereavement, disability, and retirement. The firm is able to serve clients from all over the country.
[03:24] Joan’s top priorities post-divorce are her pension and healing from the marriage, but navigating finances can be overwhelming
- Joan wanted to prioritize understanding her pension and begin healing from her divorce.
- Divorce can cause women to feel depressed, anxious, and lose themselves
- Prioritization of concerns is based on the client’s priorities and attachment to an issue
- Two of Joan’s priorities were having enough money to live comfortably and understanding her strengths and weaknesses around finances
[06:50] Budget and planning are crucial for building security and facilitating the healing journey post-divorce.
- Budgeting helps to alleviate concerns about living comfortably.
- A financial statement is a crucial document in divorce cases.
- Looking at the financial statement from a measured angle can help to alleviate insecurities.
[10:17] Financial plans and advocating for the seriousness of a request can help in court cases post-divorce.
- Financial plans can be presented to the court, in this case, to support a request for Joan to keep her pension.
- Advocating for the seriousness of a request can help in cases where not all courts may give credence to it.
- It is important to differentiate between emotional and realistic financial issues, especially when accommodating children.
[13:41] The company focuses on building financial confidence post-divorce and has an extensive network of therapists for emotional support.
- Newmaker Financial aims to build a foundation of financial confidence for post-divorce individuals.
- They have an extensive network of therapists who specialize in various areas related to divorce.
- Divorce is often about the past and insecurity, but Newmaker Financial focuses on illuminating the positives of the new journey.
- Emotional support is important, and Newmaker Financial refers individuals to their network of therapists for specialized help.
[17:09] Financial planning involves having a vision for the future and treating yourself after a rough time.
- Investing in oneself is important for a better mindset.
- Treating oneself after a rough time is deserved.
- Enjoying and paying for something should not be a guilty thought.
- Hardcore financial planning helps to monitor and invest money for the future.
[20:35] Financial planners not only help with financial planning but also remind clients of important tasks and updates post-divorce.
- Financial planners help clients update estate plans and insurance documents.
- They remind clients of important tasks they might forget post-divorce.
- Financial planners help clients manage every aspect of their lives.